“Chapter 249: Astray”
We were, once again, knocked against the ground.
Except this time there was nothing to cushion our fall.
I had sharp pains every time I moved.
I wonder how many of my bones are broken.
– Is everyone okay
– Not dead, yet.
– Somehow alive.
– Same here.
– Dyke, can you heal everyone
– I’m on it.
I landed further away from them, so Dyke is focusing on Meirir and Roar.
– …You don’t have to help me.
Just heal them back to normal.
– What are you talking about Give me a second and I’ll go over there.
– There’s no point.
– …I’m surrounded.
I can hear the heavy breathing of the magical beasts about to devour me.
Small insects were latching onto my body as if waiting for me to die.
Even in the miraculous scenario where I escaped, not only do I not have food but also Shiori would chase me to the ends of the world.
– I’m sorry.
No one could hear it, but I said it anyways.
Maybe I should’ve accepted Shiori’s deal from the beginning.
Sacrificing myself would’ve been the easiest way to guarantee my friends’ safety.
I never forget how much I owe to all of my friends.
I can’t repay them, but I can help.
– I’m sorry.
I repeated it once more.
I want to be with them a little longer.
Have fun, go on adventures, work together…
But if I die here, they’ll be next.
I have no choice.
No response, but I’m sure she’s watching this with the biggest smile on her face.
The good news is, if she wants to torture me I don’t think I’ll die.
That’s the only silver lining to this.
– I will be yours.
Please spare my friends, including my Grandmast-
– SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH.
A wind arrow grazed my forehead.
The insects were swept away by the whirlwind, causing the nearby beasts to back off.
– TAKAYA, YOU WERE TRYING TO SACRIFICE YOURSELF AGAIN, WEREN’T YOU
Roar was aiming a second arrow at my face.
He’s not exactly a quiet type, but I’ve never seen him express his emotions so violently.
– When did I ever ask for your f̲u̲c̲k̲i̲n̲g help! Did I say “Oh dear Takaya save me please”! WHY DO YOU ALWAYS TRY TO DO EVERYTHING BY YOURSELF DO YOU THINK YOU’RE HIGH S̲H̲I̲T̲ BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOME COOL POWERS
What the hell is he talking about
Does he know I’m doing this for them
– WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND AREN’T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE THE LEADER SHE WANTS TO KILL US ALL.
– YOU THINK I’M STUPID I KNOW SHE DOES.
WHY DO YOU ACT LIKE YOU HAVE TO CARRY US AROUND LIKE LUGGAGE
– I… That’s not…
I’m just trying to keep them away from danger.
I’m involved in way too many things.
The sages’ secrets, the demon guardians, the “other world”, the secrets of skills, only Kouya and I know my full story.
I’m always getting protected by the most powerful beings in the world.
Mike, Ever, Mumuruu, Ever, Akane, even the knights of the Royal Capital and the demon king.
But to these three, I’m just their companion.
It’s not that I don’t trust them, I don’t want to get them in trouble.
– Man, you piss me off so much.
Remember what I told you at Wols I said I’d always have your back.
– Okay, go ahead and defeat all the beasts and Shiori then! What do you think you’ll be able to do! Even Meirir and Dyke are stronger than you! A weakling like me could do a better job than you in combat!
– …Yeah, you’re right.
– …I’m sorry.
I didn’t mean that.
– No, you’re right.
I’m not special like you.
Every ability I learn I deteriorate it.
I can take anyone’s place, but always to a worse level.
The atmosphere in the air changed.
I will save you and show you and everyone that I don’t have to be the best in their skills.
I just have to be the best I can be.
The wind around Roar is getting faster.
I don’t think he has noticed, but the current is strong enough to cut the rocks in the vicinity.
– Now, more than ever, I ask you to trust your leader.